Recipe by Tarheel
I woke up this morning thinking of my best friend back in the US and her oh-so-fabulous "Egg Bake," the traditional staple of our weekend morning breakfasts together. Unfortunately, I didn't have her recipe this morning, so I had to wing it... the result was just what the doctor ordered! Maggie has shared many a cup of coffee with family and friends over this wonderful breakfast. Today I shared it with my boyfriend for the first time. Share it with someone you love!
- 1 dozen farm fresh egg
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 3⁄4 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- fresh salsa
- light sour cream
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 325F (170C if using convection oven).
- Butter sides and bottom of a 2QT casserole dish.
- Break eggs directly into casserole dish, break each yoke and mix lightly. Do not over-mix, the distinction between yoke and white adds a wonderful hearty texture.
- Add drained green chiles, mixing into eggs just enough to spread evenly.
- Sprinkle olives and onions evenly over top, tapping lightly at the end to slightly submerge the bits.
- drizzle heavy cream across top. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- sprinkle mozzarella and monterey jack cheeses on top, again tapping lightly at the end.
- Place into oven for 30-35 minutes or until center is well set.
- Plate with freshly sliced avocado, fresh salsa (yet another fabulous use for my boyfriend's homemade salsa -- I will post that recipe soon!) and sour cream.