Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an old recipe, refined from time to time. Serve with vanilla ice cream or glaze icing or whipped cream.Update: Making for Christmas for neighbors:If the cake dips in the center-it is fine,homespun quality for this moist rich flavored cake.
- Mix the first six dry ingredients together in mixing bowl.
- Mix the last four wet ingredients together in large separate bowl. Blend well.
- On low speed on your mixer, add dry ingredients in three separate batches. After the last batch is added, mix about five minutes more, using a spatula to clean the sides of the bowl from time to time.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Spray Pam on all sides and bottom of 9X13 pan. Sprinkle a little flour over the Pam to prevent batter from sticking.
- Bake about 45-50 minutes in the middle rack of your oven. If you touch the middle of the cake and the dent comes back up, the cake is done or insert toothpick and if it comes out clean it is done. There will be a slight crispyness on the edges. This cake freezes well.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Note: You may use muffin pans and fill a 1/4 measuring cup. Make sure you use Pam and flour in the muffin cups before you fill. Bake about 15 minutes. Makes about 36.
- Servings are for cake.
This was pretty darned amazing. I made just a few changes. I used dark brown sugar instead of white sugar. Didn't have any mayo, so used butter. I added 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp each of cloves and nutmeg.And then decided to add just a little more (1/4 tsp) ginger. (We really love ginger!) I also used half dark chocolate and half regular cocoa powder. I did not ice--just dusted with a little powdered sugar, This cake is really moist and the flavor is a great combination of flavors. My husband and I were both knocked out. I'll probably try to reduce the fat some next time. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
This was just too much for us. Too much chocolate, too many flavors going on, too 'dark', too rich.
I used this for my 7 year olds birthday cake and it was excellent. Very dense and chocolately.