Prep 5 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
Soul food from Boston
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon liquid smoke (may be omitted, but it's oh-so-good!)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 6 rolls, of your choice
- barbecue sauce
- Mix the dry rub together and sprinkle it onto the pork roast. Be sure to really press it into the meat so it sticks. Cover the pork and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Combine the liquid ingredients and the garlic powder in a slow cooker. Add the pork and cover. Slow cook on low for 4 hours or until the pork shreds easily.
- Remove the pork, shred it, make it into a sammich and enjoy!
- Note: If you do not have a slow cooker, you can cook these in a 325 degree oven. Just be sure to cover the pork with aluminum foil and baste the meat at least every hour.