Recipe by chefwally
I don't know who Maggie was, I think I got this recipe years ago from Gourmet Magazine, it has been a holiday staple on my table. The best turnips I've tasted.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Having heard from Susie how rich these are, and not being a big bacon fan, I cut down on the bacon and the butter and used half & half. What a surprise! These are delicious! Nothing like the bitter turnip mash we ate as kids. Thank you, Wally!
- 6 lbs turnips, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 slice bacon, for the top
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place turnips in stock pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons butter till translucent.
- In another pan saute bacon till crisp.
- Using a ricer, rice turnips into another pot.
- Add onions, bacon, rest of butter, cream, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Put in a casserole dish with four strips of uncooked bacon across the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.