Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I don't know who Maggie was, I think I got this recipe years ago from Gourmet Magazine, it has been a holiday staple on my table. The best turnips I've tasted.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place turnips in stock pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons butter till translucent.
- In another pan saute bacon till crisp.
- Using a ricer, rice turnips into another pot.
- Add onions, bacon, rest of butter, cream, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Put in a casserole dish with four strips of uncooked bacon across the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Having heard from Susie how rich these are, and not being a big bacon fan, I cut down on the bacon and the butter and used half & half. What a surprise! These are delicious! Nothing like the bitter turnip mash we ate as kids. Thank you, Wally!
This is so rich and I can easily see why it would be a holiday favorite. (I have added it to my holiday cookbook so I remember when the holidays roll around.) Everything works so well together in this recipe and I think these may be the best turnips I have ever eaten. Very different! Thanks for posting this recipe Chef Wally!