5 hrs 10 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe and want to preserve it for a Sunday dinner. It sounds like a lot of work, but sounds fabulous!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1/2 tablespoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup roughly cut Spanish onion
- 1/2 cup roughly cut carrot
- 1/2 cup roughly cut celery
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup red wine, plus
- 1 tablespoon red wine (any kind can be used)
- 4 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 slice smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 cups veal stock
- cooked great northern bean (to garnish) (optional)
Herb marinade Ingredients (use 2 T)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh sage leaf
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn, freshly ground
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 3 medium russet burbank potatoes, skins on, quartered
- 2 large carrots, split lengthwise, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium Spanish onions, quartered with root intact
- 3 1/3 celery ribs, cut in 21/2-inch pieces
- 8 large mushrooms, left whole
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into about 8 lengthwise slices
- salt and pepper
- 1Prepare herb marinade first; then prepare vegetables and keep warm.
- 2To prepare the herb marinade:Combine all ingredients in blender and briefly blend until smooth. This can be made in smaller batch, but it will be difficult to puree.
- 3Note: Leftover marinade can be used on steaks, fish and chicken. Brush on before grilling or saute meat in it.
- 4To prepare vegetables:Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5In very large oven-proof saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 6Add vegetables and saute until browned, turning frequently.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Transfer to preheated oven and cook uncovered 1 hour or until all vegetables are tender. Set aside and keep warm. Vegetables will have to be reheated briefly before they are served.
- 9To prepare roast:When ready to prepare meat, season roast with herb marinade, salt and pepper.
- 10Brown on all sides on olive oil in heavy, oven-safe braising pan.
- 11Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- 12To pan, add onion, carrots and celery and saute over medium-high flame until browned. Add tomato paste, mix well and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- 13Add wine, bring to boil, then cook to reduce by half.
- 14Return meat to pan. Add chicken stock, herbs and bacon and return to boil.
- 15Transfer to 325-degree oven and cook, uncovered, until meat is tender, 3 to 31/2 hours.
- 16When meat is done, remove from oven and let rest at least 20 minutes.
- 17Remove meat from pan and set aside. Strain liquid into saucepan.
- 18Skim grease off top, removing as much fat as possible from braising liquid. Add veal stock.
- 19Bring to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 20To serve:Place half the vegetables in center of serving plate as a base for the meat. Place sliced meat on top and garnish with remaining vegetables on and around beef. Top with sauce and beans if desired.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maggiano's Little Italy Italian Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (946 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1347.1
- Calories from Fat 549
- Total Fat 61.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 794.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 140.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 52.5 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 80.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper
fresh sage leaves