Recipe by Cook4_6
I found this recipe and want to preserve it for a Sunday dinner. It sounds like a lot of work, but sounds fabulous!
Top Review by Susy Q
Love the ingredients, loathe the instructions. Really hard to follow so I took all these wonderful ingredients and made a stew. Yummy!!!!!!!!! Family loved it. Very good cold weather food!!! Thanks, Cooks!!
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup roughly cut Spanish onion
- 1⁄2 cup roughly cut carrot
- 1⁄2 cup roughly cut celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red wine, plus
- 1 tablespoon red wine (any kind can be used)
- 4 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 slice smoked bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups veal stock
- cooked great northern bean (to garnish) (optional)
Herb marinade Ingredients (use 2 T)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh sage leaf
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 3 medium russet burbank potatoes, skins on, quartered
- 2 large carrots, split lengthwise, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium Spanish onions, quartered with root intact
- 3 1⁄3 celery ribs, cut in 21/2-inch pieces
- 8 large mushrooms, left whole
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into about 8 lengthwise slices
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare herb marinade first; then prepare vegetables and keep warm.
- To prepare the herb marinade:Combine all ingredients in blender and briefly blend until smooth. This can be made in smaller batch, but it will be difficult to puree.
- Note: Leftover marinade can be used on steaks, fish and chicken. Brush on before grilling or saute meat in it.
- To prepare vegetables:Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In very large oven-proof saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetables and saute until browned, turning frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to preheated oven and cook uncovered 1 hour or until all vegetables are tender. Set aside and keep warm. Vegetables will have to be reheated briefly before they are served.
- To prepare roast:When ready to prepare meat, season roast with herb marinade, salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides on olive oil in heavy, oven-safe braising pan.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- To pan, add onion, carrots and celery and saute over medium-high flame until browned. Add tomato paste, mix well and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add wine, bring to boil, then cook to reduce by half.
- Return meat to pan. Add chicken stock, herbs and bacon and return to boil.
- Transfer to 325-degree oven and cook, uncovered, until meat is tender, 3 to 31/2 hours.
- When meat is done, remove from oven and let rest at least 20 minutes.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside. Strain liquid into saucepan.
- Skim grease off top, removing as much fat as possible from braising liquid. Add veal stock.
- Bring to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve:Place half the vegetables in center of serving plate as a base for the meat. Place sliced meat on top and garnish with remaining vegetables on and around beef. Top with sauce and beans if desired.