Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe and want to preserve it for a Sunday dinner. It sounds like a lot of work, but sounds fabulous!
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup roughly cut Spanish onion
- 1⁄2 cup roughly cut carrot
- 1⁄2 cup roughly cut celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red wine, plus
- 1 tablespoon red wine (any kind can be used)
- 4 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 slice smoked bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups veal stock
- cooked great northern bean (to garnish) (optional)
Herb marinade Ingredients (use 2 T)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh sage leaf
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 3 medium russet burbank potatoes, skins on, quartered
- 2 large carrots, split lengthwise, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium Spanish onions, quartered with root intact
- 3 1⁄3 celery ribs, cut in 21/2-inch pieces
- 8 large mushrooms, left whole
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into about 8 lengthwise slices
- salt and pepper
- Prepare herb marinade first; then prepare vegetables and keep warm.
- To prepare the herb marinade:Combine all ingredients in blender and briefly blend until smooth. This can be made in smaller batch, but it will be difficult to puree.
- Note: Leftover marinade can be used on steaks, fish and chicken. Brush on before grilling or saute meat in it.
- To prepare vegetables:Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In very large oven-proof saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetables and saute until browned, turning frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to preheated oven and cook uncovered 1 hour or until all vegetables are tender. Set aside and keep warm. Vegetables will have to be reheated briefly before they are served.
- To prepare roast:When ready to prepare meat, season roast with herb marinade, salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides on olive oil in heavy, oven-safe braising pan.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- To pan, add onion, carrots and celery and saute over medium-high flame until browned. Add tomato paste, mix well and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add wine, bring to boil, then cook to reduce by half.
- Return meat to pan. Add chicken stock, herbs and bacon and return to boil.
- Transfer to 325-degree oven and cook, uncovered, until meat is tender, 3 to 31/2 hours.
- When meat is done, remove from oven and let rest at least 20 minutes.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside. Strain liquid into saucepan.
- Skim grease off top, removing as much fat as possible from braising liquid. Add veal stock.
- Bring to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve:Place half the vegetables in center of serving plate as a base for the meat. Place sliced meat on top and garnish with remaining vegetables on and around beef. Top with sauce and beans if desired.
Love the ingredients, loathe the instructions. Really hard to follow so I took all these wonderful ingredients and made a stew. Yummy!!!!!!!!! Family loved it. Very good cold weather food!!! Thanks, Cooks!!