Recipe by Muffythechef
"Maggi" is a popular brand of instant noodles in Singapore and Malaysia. "Mee" means noodle in Malay and "goreng" means fried in Malay. Hence, Maggi mee goreng is literally Maggi instant noodles fried - voila! So yummy lah!
Top Review by P.Q. Butterfat
Thank you for this, as I wanted to recreate the noodles I had in Malaysia. I have used Indo Mie brand noodles (very good) and some Chinese dried thin wheat noodles (also good but not as). I couldn't find real belacan, so I used a Thai shrimp paste, which adds a good flavor. I found it a little ketchupy the way it's written, so I use less ketchup. Fried tofu is great in place of the chicken. Many types of veggies work well. I like broccoli and green onion. I wimped out and bought fried onions. You gotta have fried onions. For garnish, try lime juice, bean sprouts, and peanuts, along with the onions. A quartered hard boiled egg is nice too, though a fried egg is more authentic. Supoib!
- 180 g Maggi 2-minute noodles (any brand depending on the texture of noodles you prefer)
- 2 small chicken legs, cubed
- 1 shallot, chopped and fried until crisp and light brown
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup bok choy
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 4 fresh chilie bell peppers, padi (small chilies)
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste, belachan
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate the chicken cubes with sesame oil for about 10 minutes.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cook the instant noodles in boiling water for about 3 minutes and drain and rinse with cold water.
- Stir fry the chicken cubes until cooked.
- In a separate wok, fry the garlic in oil until fragrant.
- Add cooked noodles, followed by cooked chicken.
- Stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add bok choy and beansprouts to the wok.
- Add sauce ingredients to the wok and continue to stir fry on medium to low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Mix sauce well into the noodles.
- Serve with fried shallot and chilie garnish.