1/1 Photo of Magenbrot (Gingerbread Speciality)
1 hr 20 mins
Magenbrot are a gingerbread type of very traditional Christmas Cookies in Germany and Switzerland. Often sold on Christmas markets. The brown color comes from the dutch cocoa used. Stomach friendly spices like cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg and not much fat might have influence the name (Magen = stomach, Brot = bread). This recipe is based on a traditional recipe, but with a modern twist in the glaze used here. And I have added some fat in this one, while the original recipes don't use fat at all. The cookies are on the dry to very dry side, but that's how they are the best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g honey
- 50 g butter
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 500 g flour
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, grounded
- 1/2 teaspoon clove, grounded
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, grounded
- 1 dash nutmeg (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons potash
- 3 tablespoons rose water (or just water)
- 1Put honey, butter and brown sugar into a pot and heat up while stirring (medium high heat).
- 2When sugar is dissolved remove from oven and mix in the egg.
- 3Mix flour, cocoa and spices. Add flour mixture little by little to the honey mixture.
- 4Dissolve pot ash in rose water, add it to the dough and knead into the dough.
- 5Wrap dough into cling film and place it for at least one hour in the fridge.
- 6Preheat oven (200°C). Grease a baking tray or line it with baking paper.
- 7Roll out the dough on the baking tray evenly. It should be about 2 cm thick.
- 8Bake it for 20 minutes. Remove tray from oven.
- 9And while hot cut the dough into rectangle cookies of a size of about 2 cm by 4 cm. Let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- 10Let coconut fat melt in a pot on low heat.
- 11Dissolve instant coffee in rum and add to melted coconut fat.
- 12Add caster sugar and mix. Add as much additional water to make an easy to handle glaze.
- 13Brush cookies with coffee-rum glaze.
- 14Store Magenbrot in an airtight container.
- 15Amount of cookies is a guess. Depends mainly on how thick you roll out the dough.
- 16Time to make does not include cooling time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Magenbrot (Gingerbread Speciality)
Serving Size: 1 (1090 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.2
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.3 mg
- Sodium 6.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: