Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe for traditional Spanish sponge cakes was adapted from one found at La Tienda - The Best of Spain.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups extra finely granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups of mild extra virgin olive oil
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Arrange 2 dozen cupcake paper liners on baking trays. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in a food processor to give a pale yellow batter. Stir the baking powder into the flour.
- Mix the milk, oil, and flour into the egg mixture, alternating the milk and oil with the flour to avoid curdling, and beat well again.
- Spoon into the paper cups, but no more than two-thirds full to leave space for rising. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and risen.