Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Healthy, delicious, inexpensive fast food! When time and ingredients are in short supply and you are hungry, this is a great dish. You can leave the peppers out if you don't have them handy, everything else is a staple that is always on hand at my house. Even my son, who normally dislikes onions and peppers, loves them in this dish. (How cool is that?)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 6 eggs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 slices rye bread (or other bread)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like to use a grainy mustard)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion and red pepper and sauté until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the bread.
- When toasted, spread each piece with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon mustard.
- Beat the eggs and add salt and pepper.
- When the vegetables are soft, pour the eggs over them.
- Stir until the eggs are cooked.
- Put 1/6th of the egg mixture on each prepared piece of bread.