Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, nutritionally speaking. This particular breakfast is NOT nutritional, but it is a wonderful, delicious, decadent breakfast for a special occasion. This is the breakfast that everyone asks for when it is their birthday or other special day. We have this a few times a year, and only on the weekend when a protein fueled brain is not as essential as on weekdays. I warn you, this recipe may be addictive! It tastes so delicious and yet is so frugal that you could have it more often, but then the specialness of it would be diminished and your nutritional needs may not be satisfied.
- In a small heavy saucepan melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Pour into an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Cut bread into smaller slices or pieces and arrange upright (crust side down) over the brown sugar mixture.
- Fill the entire bottom of the dish with tightly packed bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour mixture over the bread.
- Push the bread into the mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- In the morning, remove the chilled dish from the refrigerator, remove cover, push the bread sown into the mixture again and set on counter for a half hour to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the bread is golden on top and a knife inserted into the casserole comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
- To serve, lift pieces out and flip onto plates. This will give a wonderful sauce that works beautifully instead of maple syrup.