Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Greek Easter soup.
- 1 (2 lb) lamb pluck (liver, lungs and other organs together)
- 1 lb green onion
- 1 bunch anise
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Boil the pluck and take out the foam.
- Put salt and let it boil for a while.
- Take it out and conserve the broth.
- Cut the pluck into small pieces.
- Put the broth in a large pot, after passing it through a strainer.
- Cut the onions and the anise into small pieces, and add them in the broth.
- Add also the pluck and the butter.
- Lower the fire and let them boil.
- When they are almost done, add the rice.
- Prepare in the meantime the egg and lemon sauce.
- Beat very well the eggs and add the lemon juice very slowly.
- Take some of the soup and add it slowly to the sauce.
- Do the same thing several times, beating always the sauce, add the sauce to the pot, stirring the soup slowly.
Not bad -- but will stick with the family recipe for Magaritsa. We have a tendency to use dill and quite a few more items -- I think that made it taste better --