Recipe by Rumpole
West African Chicken and Peanut Stew
Top Review by najaboeje
Tried a Mafe at a local restaurant and straight away went hunting for a recipe. Found this one and have to say - it's even better than the one at the restaurant. Have cooked it several times now and comes out perfect every single time. Adding red chili works wonders.
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unrefined peanut oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 5 carrots, peeled, trimmed, and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with sale and pepper.
- Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.
- Working in batches, lightly brown chicken all over, then transfer to a bowl as done.
- Add onions to pot, scraping any browned bits stuck to bottom of pot with the spoon.
- Combine peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups cold water in a bowl.
- Combine tomato paste and 2 cups hot water in another bowl.
- Stir peanut butter and tomato paste mixtures into pot, scraping any browned bits stuck to bottom of pot with the spoon.
- Return chicken to pot and stir well.
- Add carrots, thyme and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender - about an hour.
- Serve over rice or, in the last 20 minutes, add rice to stew and cook together.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.