Recipe by TheDancingCook
A hearty, stove top, comfort food stew. Warms you from head to toe on a chilly fall or winter day. I serve this with warm bread. Mae was neighbor who was like family to us and passed away a few years ago, but passed on this wonderful recipe beforehand.
Top Review by 4Susan
Out of this world good! If you have a picky husband you have to try this stew. And if you like bold fresh garden flavors that meld perfectly then you'll love this! Absolutely yummy!! I made this in the crock pot - high for an hour, low for 3 hours. I used smoked sausage and only half the tomato sauce plus 2 large tomatos and green peppers from my garden. Also tripled the carrots because we really like those. I made this because I lost the Football Pool game, and for once I'm not sorry to be a loser :)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb country sausage
- 4 -5 white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1⁄4 white onion, diced
- 3 green peppers, diced
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 link hot Italian sausage, for extra hot taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut sausage into 4 inch links.
- Pour a little water into the bottom of a dutch oven pan.
- Add sausage and simmer until all liquid is gone.
- Let the sausage brown in the fat, but don't burn.
- Take out the sausage and cut into rounds, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Return cut sausage back into the pan, along with remaining ingredients and more water, if needed.
- Simmer about 2-3 hours, or until carrots and potatoes tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.