Recipe by JacquelineS
Fresh green beans with a delicious sauce! Instead of grating a fresh coconut, buy frozen grated coconut at an Asian or Indian grocery. Don't use the bagged coconut found in the baking aisle at American groceries. Other vegetables to use instead of green beans are okra, potatoes, cauliflower, or cabbage.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
I like this with cabbage instead of beans. I made this tonight when I just couldn't decide what to have alongwith a bowl of sambhar and rice. I had this with rotis(Indian flatbreads) and it was wonderful. I halved the recipe. The additional ingredients I used were 3 cloves of garlic and 1 tsp. of cumin seeds. I omitted the sugar completely and substituted the jalapenos with green chillies. Thanks for a wonderful dish!
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon jaggery (or sugar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons oil (or ghee)
- 3 curry leaves
- 1 cup coconut, fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hing
- 2 tablespoons channa dal
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil beans in water with the jaggery and salt until tender. Put aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds begin to crackle add chana dal and saute until lightly browned.
- Add hing, curry leaves, jalapeno, turmeric and cilantro.
- Stir fry for one minute.
- Add beans, coconut, and salt and cook for 5-7 minutes.