Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from Lite and Luscious Cuisine of India by Madhu Gadia. Listed as 3 lean meat exchanges.
- 2 lbs boneless lamb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- Place lamb in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt, coriander, cumin, cayenne (if using) and black pepper. Stir to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cover to avoid splattering. Add onion and ginger and cook until onion is lightly brown.
- Add lamb and its marinade, and mix with onion. Stir for about 5 minutes. Stir in water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 - 45 minutes. Do not stir. Lamb should be tender when pierced with a knife.
- The sauce should be thick. If needed, increase heat and cook until sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and coriander (if using). Stir gently.
I really liked this recipe with it's simple ingredients and method; it also tasted really nice. I added a garlic clove along with the ginger and used the coriander at the end as I think fresh herbs finish a curry off.