1/3 Photos of Madras Vegetable Curry (Vegetarian)
Altho I did not choose this vegetarian dish from the cruise menu, I found it in the *Carnival Creations* cookbook by Cyrus Marfatia (Exec Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines) & see it as a fine example of the great care taken to provide tempting vegetarian choices across all courses for the vegetarians on-board the ship. The recipe intro description stated that "An assortment of distinctive spices makes this Indian vegetable dish dance with tremendous flavor" & it was later suggested that it be served w/cinnamon-flavored cooked rice which I see as an esp appealing option. (Times were not given, so I estimated 20 min for ingredient prep + 20 min cook time). *Enjoy* !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1/2 cup tomato (seeded & diced)
- 1/2 cup potato (diced)
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower (chopped)
- 1/2 cup eggplant (diced)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1In a lrg frying pan, heat oil till hot over med-high heat. Stir in onion, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom + bay leaves & cook till onion begins to brown (See NOTE below).
- 2Stir in garlic, gingerroot + curry powder & cook till flavors are released (I assume aroma is the test of this point).
- 3Add tomatoes & cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir in potatoes & cont cooking till potatoes are partially cooked.
- 4Stir in carrot, cauliflower, eggplant + coconut milk & simmer till vegetables are tender, stirring occ.
- 5Remove whole spices & bay leaves. Stir in peas, season to taste w/salt, stir in the cilantro & serve immediately as suggested.
- 6NOTE: Altho not mentioned in the recipe, stirring in the whole spices + bay leaves & then removing them as above seems like a lrg challenge unless they are introduced to the dish in 1 of those porous spice cooking bags. :-).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Madras Vegetable Curry (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.2
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: