Recipe by Karen in MA
Quick & Yummy!
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Indeed, very yummy. I used my favourite Roasted Garam Masala, and also didn't add as much as directed, since DH doesn't enjoy very spicy curry. However, I think I could safely up it a bit next time, this was a very smooth and flavourful curry and we both very much enjoyed it.
I served it over basmati rice, to which I had added a generous sprinkle of garlic powder. The lemon and mint are a good touch. Yum, excellent meal, quickly prepared, thank you, Karen!
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated & peeled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- steamed rice, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet until shimmering.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown (about 7 minutes).
- Add ginger, garlic and curry and cook, stirring, until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add coconut milk and stock and simmer over medium heat until reduced by 1/3 and thickened (about 8 minutes).
- Add shrimp, season with salt and cayenne and simmer over medium heat until the shrimp are pink and cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the mint and lemon zest and serve in deep bowls over steamed rice.