Recipe by jk523
Lentils and red beans in a creamy spiced up tomato sauce. Add ground beef/turkey for a variation on chili.
Top Review by Wonder Woman 2
This is a very tasty dish. I don't used canned beans so I put 2/3 cup dry lentils and 2/3 cup small red beans in my pressure cooker with 4 cups of water and cooked for 15 minutes. After the beans came to pressure, I continued the recipe from the top. It turned out fabulous! The yogurt is optional as I forgot to add it at the end and never missed it.
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil or 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup water, as needed
- 1⁄4 cup cream, substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in some canola oil.
- Add cumin, chili powder and cayenne, stir it in with the onions and garlic for a couple minutes.
- Added a can of crushed tomatoes (not drained). This is when you add the green chilies if you use them.
- Lowered the heat and let it cook down for a bit. About 5-10min.
- Added cooked lentils (cooked from dry) and red beans, no need to add water.
- Add the salt, lowered the heat and let it cook down until it thickened.
- Added just the smallest amount (mixed into each serving of a maybe half tsp) of plain fat free greek yogurt to give it a creamier texture.