Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Lentils and red beans in a creamy spiced up tomato sauce. Add ground beef/turkey for a variation on chili.
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil or 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup water, as needed
- 1⁄4 cup cream, substitute
- Saute onion and garlic in some canola oil.
- Add cumin, chili powder and cayenne, stir it in with the onions and garlic for a couple minutes.
- Added a can of crushed tomatoes (not drained). This is when you add the green chilies if you use them.
- Lowered the heat and let it cook down for a bit. About 5-10min.
- Added cooked lentils (cooked from dry) and red beans, no need to add water.
- Add the salt, lowered the heat and let it cook down until it thickened.
- Added just the smallest amount (mixed into each serving of a maybe half tsp) of plain fat free greek yogurt to give it a creamier texture.
This is a very tasty dish. I don't used canned beans so I put 2/3 cup dry lentils and 2/3 cup small red beans in my pressure cooker with 4 cups of water and cooked for 15 minutes. After the beans came to pressure, I continued the recipe from the top. It turned out fabulous! The yogurt is optional as I forgot to add it at the end and never missed it.
Before I added the lentils and beans, i blended it after it cooked, then put in back on the stove with t he lentils and beans for a few min, added the cream and a little butter. Poured over rice. So YUM!
A tasty, simple way to prepare lentils. I was looking for a copy cat recipe for the lentils madras that Costco sells. This is similar, but was lacking some depth of flavor. I ended up adding some nutritional yeast diluted in water, about a 1/4 t. of corriander, tumeric and a pinch of cinnamon. I was closer to what I was looking for. But, as is this a tasty recipe, just not quite what I was looking for. Thanks so much for sharing this version.