This is an Indian recipe, but embraced by South Africans where there is a large Indian population.
Make and share this Madras Curry Powder recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 6 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cayenne (or less if less heat is desired)
- In a dry skillet over very low heat, place the coriander, cumin, mustard and fennel seeds. Roast the seeds gently, shaking the pan occasionally, until they begin to pop. When about half the seeds have popped, add the cinnamon, peppercorns, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, turmeric, ginger and cayenne.
- Continue to heat and stir gently until the mixture is quite hot but not burnt. Pour into a dry blender or food processor, or use a mortar and pestle. Grind into a fine powder. Pour into a clean, dry jar, seal, and let it cool before using.