Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
A recipe from the south of India. The further south you go the stronger the curries, this is a great dish, and can be made using beef or lamb. The pomegranate rice is colourful and add a bit of sweetness to the dish.
- 2 lbs lean meat, diced and fat free
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves
- 4 green cardamom pods, slips open
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, mixed with
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 pint stock, made with a cube
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions, cloves and the cardamom for 5 minutes.
- Add the green chilies, dried chilies, ginger, and garlic cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix the curry powder with a little oil to form a paste and add to the pan; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, salt and stock' cover and simmer till meat is tender.
- Serve with pomegranate rice.
- Boil the rice, seed a pomegranate and stir the seeds into the rice.
My husband is from Scotland, and he got me hooked on Indian food! Unfortunately we live in a small town in New Mexico and cant get it here. I have been making this Madras, and it is our absolute favorite meal! We have it for Christmas and Easter and any other special occasion we can think of! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.