Recipe by Keee
Mulligatawny is a lemon & black pepper flavored lentil Indian soup. This recipe is an adaptation of several different adaptations of Madhur Jaffrey's recipe. I like it very lemony so I usually add more lemon juice to my individual bowl afterwards!
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 small yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup split red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry roast whole peppercorns in soup pot over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add oil. When hot, add ginger and garlic and stir for 10 seconds or until fragrant. Next add all spices from cumin through cayenne and stir for another 10 seconds.
- Add well-rinsed chickpeas and potato pieces and stir to coat with spices.
- Next, add well-rinsed lentils along with stock and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes. If soup gets too thick, add more water or stock to make it your desired consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and coconut milk and puree soup with immersion blender (or blend in batches in blender) to your desired consistency.
- Serve with cilantro garnish.