Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love okra and this is a really good to way to prepare it. You can add more red-pepper if you like more heat.
- 680.38 g fresh okra or 2 (566.99 g) package frozen okra, defrosted
- 29.58 ml garlic, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 103.53 ml water
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 59.14 ml peanut oil or 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml whole cumin seed
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml fresh lemon juice
- If fresh okra is used, trim off any tough stems.
- If frozen okra is used, defrost and drain.
- Cut each pod into 3/4 inch lengths.
- Put the garlic, pepper flakes and three tablespoons of water in the blender and blend as thoroughly as possible.
- Empty the mixture into a small bowl and add the ground cumin, coriander and turmeric and blend well.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a nine inch skillet and add the whole cumin seeds.
- Cook briefly until the seeds start to sizzle and add the spice paste.
- Cook, stirring, about one minute.
- Add the okra, salt, sugar and lemon juice and the remaining four tablespoons of water.
- Stir to blend.
- Bring to a simmer, cover closely and cook over very low heat about ten minutes.
Score! This is an over the wall home run recipe! Man oh man are these pods good. If you like okra you will adore this dish. My pods were tiny so I just cut them in half. A tip Ihave learned is the less you mess with cut okra pods the less slimy it will be so toss and stir as little as possible. Terrific dish. Loved it.
What a great recipe for okra! I knew that this was a winner before I tried it as I trust any recipe by Madhur Jaffrey. That it had Chef Kate's personal seal of approval was just one more assurance for me, and I was not disappointed. I did not trim my okra as they were baby pods, and completely delectable. The spicy paste permeated the pods and turned a vegetable that I love any way, into a wonderful new dish that I can't wait to make again. The recipe could not be any easier to make and - you have to try this the next day, if you have leftovers, as a cold antipasti-type salad. Absolutely super!
I think I just found my favorite okra recipe ever! This is a 10 star in my book. I have had okra in many forms, but this puts a whole new spin on okra. I loved the cumin flavor and slight heat and didn't find it particularly sweet or sour. I thought DH might not care for it, but he rated it 5 stars too. Thank you Kate for a recipe that will be my first choice when I have fresh okra!