1/2 Photos of Madhur Jaffrey's Sweet and Sour Okra
Chef Kate's Note:
I love okra and this is a really good to way to prepare it. You can add more red-pepper if you like more heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38 g fresh okra or 2 (566.99 g) package frozen okra, defrosted
- 29.58 ml garlic, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 103.53 ml water
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 59.14 ml peanut oil or 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml whole cumin seed
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1If fresh okra is used, trim off any tough stems.
- 2If frozen okra is used, defrost and drain.
- 3Cut each pod into 3/4 inch lengths.
- 4Put the garlic, pepper flakes and three tablespoons of water in the blender and blend as thoroughly as possible.
- 5Empty the mixture into a small bowl and add the ground cumin, coriander and turmeric and blend well.
- 6Heat the oil over medium high heat in a nine inch skillet and add the whole cumin seeds.
- 7Cook briefly until the seeds start to sizzle and add the spice paste.
- 8Cook, stirring, about one minute.
- 9Add the okra, salt, sugar and lemon juice and the remaining four tablespoons of water.
- 10Stir to blend.
- 11Bring to a simmer, cover closely and cook over very low heat about ten minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Madhur Jaffrey's Sweet and Sour Okra
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.5
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g