1/2 Photos of Madhur Jaffrey's Sweet and Sour Okra
Chef Kate's Note:
I love okra and this is a really good to way to prepare it. You can add more red-pepper if you like more heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh okra or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen okra, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 7 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1If fresh okra is used, trim off any tough stems.
- 2If frozen okra is used, defrost and drain.
- 3Cut each pod into 3/4 inch lengths.
- 4Put the garlic, pepper flakes and three tablespoons of water in the blender and blend as thoroughly as possible.
- 5Empty the mixture into a small bowl and add the ground cumin, coriander and turmeric and blend well.
- 6Heat the oil over medium high heat in a nine inch skillet and add the whole cumin seeds.
- 7Cook briefly until the seeds start to sizzle and add the spice paste.
- 8Cook, stirring, about one minute.
- 9Add the okra, salt, sugar and lemon juice and the remaining four tablespoons of water.
- 10Stir to blend.
- 11Bring to a simmer, cover closely and cook over very low heat about ten minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Madhur Jaffrey's Sweet and Sour Okra
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.5
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g