I love okra and this is a really good to way to prepare it. You can add more red-pepper if you like more heat.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh okra or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen okra, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 7 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- If fresh okra is used, trim off any tough stems.
- If frozen okra is used, defrost and drain.
- Cut each pod into 3/4 inch lengths.
- Put the garlic, pepper flakes and three tablespoons of water in the blender and blend as thoroughly as possible.
- Empty the mixture into a small bowl and add the ground cumin, coriander and turmeric and blend well.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a nine inch skillet and add the whole cumin seeds.
- Cook briefly until the seeds start to sizzle and add the spice paste.
- Cook, stirring, about one minute.
- Add the okra, salt, sugar and lemon juice and the remaining four tablespoons of water.
- Stir to blend.
- Bring to a simmer, cover closely and cook over very low heat about ten minutes.