1/1 Photo of Madhur Jaffrey's Shrimp in the Maharashtrian Manner
This recipe has served me well for many years. It is a very lovely mixture of flavors, aromas and textures and seems like it should have been much more work than it actually is. Ms. Jaffrey describes the dish as a "quick dish which you can make with prawns (shrimps) or any firm fleshed fish that can be cut into thick steaks or chunks. Serve with rice and vegetables suchas stuffed Okra, carrots with Dill and Puréed Vegetables." I have also substituted drained pressed tofu for the shrimp and it was equally but differently delicious. I have given the ingredient list in avoirdupois and skipped the metric measurements which she used in her book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb prawns medium-sized shrimp, unpeeled (no heads) or 12 -13 ounces peeled uncooked shrimp
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, mashed lightly, but left whole
- 4 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 fresh hot green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1Peel and devein shrimp if necessary.
- 2Put them in a bowl.
- 3Add crushed garlic, ginger, tamarind paste, turmeric, salt and chili powder (cayenne).
- 4Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes (not longer , as raw ginger tends to affect the texture of the shrimp).
- 5Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok over medium high heat.
- 6When hot, put in the whole mashed cloves of garlic.
- 7Stir until they brown lightly.
- 8Now put in the shrimp.
- 9Stir for 1 minute so that they also brown lightly.
- 10Turn the heat to medium-low.
- 11Put in the coconut milk, fresh coriander, and green chilies.
- 12As soon as the sauce begins to simmer, turn off the heat and serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Madhur Jaffrey's Shrimp in the Maharashtrian Manner
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.4
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 142.8 mg
- Sodium 1087.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 16.8 g