Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick and easy vegetarian dish that's good as a light lunch. I like to serve this with a Cucumber Raita and other accompanyments. This recipe was adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's first book, An Invitation to Indian Cooking.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 9 mushrooms, chopped into a small dice
- 1 hot green chili pepper, thinly sliced (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup broth (vegetarian or chicked or beef broth)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions; saute for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue to saute 3 to 4 minutes with an occasional stir.
- Add in the sliced chili, and after a minute add the cumin, the coriander and the rice, cook on low about 5 minutes.
- If using cold rice right from the fridge, you may need more broth and more cooking time.
- Add salt to taste, and serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro, if you wish; a Cucumber Raita alongside is good with this dish.