- 200 g sugar
- grated lemon peel from one fresh lemon
- 3 large eggs
- 50 ml milk
- 200 g cake-and-pastry flour
- 6 g baking powder
- 1 pinch vanilla sugar
- 200 g butter (softened)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the sugar and grated lemon peel together in a large bowl, and set the mixture aside for about an hour.
- Pour the eggs into the mixture, and mix them together.
- Add milk, and mix until blended.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar.
- Add the softened butter, and mix until blended.
- Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for about an hour. (Personally, I don’t think this step is necessary.)
- You’d better get a non-stick Madeleine mold, and you need to butter and flour the pan before pouring the batter into it. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spoon the batter into the pan. Fill about 2/3 of the pan. Bake until puffed and brown (13-15 min).
- Remove the cookies from the pan when they are still hot. Let them cool on a cooling rack.
- You can slightly butter and flour the pan again for the next batch.
- Dust the cookies with icing sugar before serving.