Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use over beef or chicken. Yummmmy
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushroom
- 1 cup beef or 1 cup chicken stock (use a bouillon to match your meat selection)
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- Make a roux with 1/2 the butter and flour.
- Set aside.
- In a second pan, saute the onion in the remaining butter.
- When the onion begins to wilt, add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid.
- Add the stock of your choice and the roux and stir well.
- Continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add Madeira wine and cook until the sauce returns to a boil.
- Remove from the heat.
Easy to make. Very tasty.
My bf loves sauce and I had a bottle of madeira that I wanted to use and this was wonderful. I did make changes and didn't have mushrooms but it would be even better with mushrooms.
Wonderful sauce, I love being the first to review especially when it's so very good. My husband and I both loved it, had it over steak. Followed your recipe exactly and would suggest anyone else to do the same. Thank you Tish, next time we'll serve it to dinner guests.