- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushroom
- 1 cup beef or 1 cup chicken stock (use a bouillon to match your meat selection)
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux with 1/2 the butter and flour.
- Set aside.
- In a second pan, saute the onion in the remaining butter.
- When the onion begins to wilt, add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid.
- Add the stock of your choice and the roux and stir well.
- Continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add Madeira wine and cook until the sauce returns to a boil.
- Remove from the heat.