Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe makes the assumption that you are serving it with a roast. I have had many compliments on the flavor of this gravy. The recipe was originally in a 1989 book called "The Spirit of Christmas Book Three"
- Combine water, 2 tbsp butter and lemon juice in a saucepan, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and add mushrooms, cover and cook 5 minutes Pour off the fat from the roasting pan.
- Add 1/4 cup butter to the pan and place over medium high heat, stir butter to melt and add the onions, saute until transparent Drain mushroom liquid and add to the pan.
- Add beef broth, tomato paste and madeira wine, blend well.
- Stir in the mushrooms and flour.
- Stir until the gravy is slightly thickened.
- Season to taste Serve.
this gravy is just perfect! we served it with a london broil and mashed potatoes, used the gravy with both, i doubled the recipe to serve 8
I liked it, but my family wasn't so sure. I think next time I'll reduce the tomato paste or even eliminate it.
A marvelous gravy. We added some thyme and more Madeira. I served it withpork filet and handmade mushroom pasta. A great gourmet dish.