Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From a newspaper clipping in my files which states that it is adapted from "BBQ USA" by Steven Raichlen (Workman, 2003).
- turkey drippings (optional)
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups turkey broth
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Pour turkey drippings through a stainer into a fat separator. Pour turkey juices (minus fat) into a large heatproof measuring cup, add enough turkey stock to make 2 1/2 cups.
- Place drip pan over high heat and deglaze it with Madeira. Strain the pan mixture into measuring cup.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add shallots, and cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, 3 minutes, stirring with a spoon. Add flour, and cook until dark golden brown, 2 minutes, stirring with a spoon.
- Remove saucepan from heat, whisk in stock-Madeira mixture and heavy cream.
- Return to heat, and gradually bring sauce to a boil, whisking steadily.
- Briskly simmer thickened sauce until slightly reduced, whisking often, about 3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.