Recipe by Sage
This is really good and so easy to prepare. Serve with roasted potatoes and asparagus. This recipe can be prepared in teh morning and reheated at meal time.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
This was wonderful and tasted indulgent while being diet friendly. The sage, mushrooms and madeira worked really well together - particularly for those of us who love the under-utilized herb. If you don't like sage it would work well with thyme. My own rendition had a few small changes - mostly that I saved the butter used for cooking the mushrooms for the end and whisked it into the finished sauce to give it more body and richness. The sauce was really good and I would double the amount prepared. Another tip would be to season the chicken with a little salt, pepper and sage so that it has additional flavor infused in the protein and not just on top. Thanks.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- chopped chives, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- Combine milk, cornstarch, sage, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, cook chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat for about 5 to 6 minutes for the first side and about 2 to 3 minutes for the second side, until no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- In the skillet add water and butter. Heat the mixture till boiling.
- Add the sliced mushrooms. Cook and stir mushrooms 2 minutes or till tender and heated through.
- Stir the milk mixture and add it to skillet.Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir about 2 minutes more (to reduce a bit).
- Add the wine and heat, to burn off the alcohol and to cook sauce to desired consistency.
- Transfer chicken to a warmed serving platter; spoon sauce on top.Sprinkle with chives.
- Serve with steamed baby carrots and an aromatic rice.