Recipe by loof
My mom was cleaning out one of her closets and came across several folders full of recipes that she had clipped from magazines and newpapers over the years. This came from the Recipes & Requests column of a July 1998 edition of the Knoxville News-Sentinel. This simple cake goes well with a nice cup of tea!
Top Review by Coasty
I think I'm converted! Not really a fan of packet cake mix but this was very moist and tasty - I think the madeira wine helped. Went a head and made another 2 cakes for the freezer. Thanks for posting loof. Made for December Aus/NZ Recipe swap.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix (no pudding in mix)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package French vanilla instant pudding
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup madeira wine (sweet)
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the poppy seeds for garnish, if desired. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, wine and poppy seeds in a large bowl. Beat 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Do not overbake - start testing at 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan, then invert onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioner's sugar and sprinkle with reserved poppy seeds if desired.