Recipe by kittycatmom
to my surprise, every broccoli cornbread on Zaar calls for "cornbread mix" this recipe is completely from scratch and WELL WORTH the extra steps! I don't remember where I found this... I've been making this for years... great with chicken, or chili.
Top Review by loof
This is a great homemade cornbread! I used fresh broccoli that I microwaved a bit to soften it a little. The cornbread had a nice texture and the broccoli was a great addition. Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix together the corn meal, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar together. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
- Melt butter in a small fry pan. Add onion and saute until onions are translucent.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, thawed broccoli, cottage cheese, and melted butter with onions. Pour into well of flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.