Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
to my surprise, every broccoli cornbread on Zaar calls for "cornbread mix" this recipe is completely from scratch and WELL WORTH the extra steps! I don't remember where I found this... I've been making this for years... great with chicken, or chili.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- In a large bowl mix together the corn meal, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar together. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
- Melt butter in a small fry pan. Add onion and saute until onions are translucent.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, thawed broccoli, cottage cheese, and melted butter with onions. Pour into well of flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
This is a great homemade cornbread! I used fresh broccoli that I microwaved a bit to soften it a little. The cornbread had a nice texture and the broccoli was a great addition. Thanks for posting this recipe!
This was my first cornbread and Im so happy that I chose this recipe for it. It worked out beautifully and the bread is just plain YUMMY! I only had a German loaf tin on hand (11X3X3 inches), so that my bread had a very different shape than regular cornbread and took way longer to bake (about 75 minutes). But the end result was well worth the wait. IT WAS GORGEOUS! Thank you so much for sharing, kittycatmom! Made for Potluck Tag February 2009.
Thank you. I did not have any Jiffy Cornbread mix so I wasn't sure what my measurements should be to make the cornbread from scratch. This is great. Thank you for thinking of the cooks who like to do it their way.