Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a very traditional Croatian slice. Also known as chocolate slice. This is a must on any festive occasion.
- 600 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 80 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 150 g sugar
- 250 ml cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 liter milk
- 200 g butter
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g baking chocolate
- 4 -5 tablespoons continental flour
- 180 g baking chocolate
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C; grease a cookie tray 25x30cm or line it with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder. Add softened butter and mix until they resemble crumbs.
- Add eggs, sugar, cream and salt.
- Make a dough and divide into 5 equal parts.
- Roll each sheet to fit cookie tray.
- Bake one at a time for 10 minutes each. Cool them carefully so they don't break.
- Then put one sheet into cookie tin, spread with 1/4 of chocolate cream, continue with remaining pastry sheets.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To ensure layers stick together place a light chopping board or similar on top.
- Leave for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Then cover with chocolate glaze, allowing glaze to set-- Cut into small diamonds, rectangles or squares.
- Mix 1 cup of milk with flour, boil remaining milk adding chocolate and sugar.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour flour and milk mixture very slowly into boiling milk, stirring.
- Return to boil again for a few minutes.
- Allow to cool completely, whip butter into cooled chocolate mixture.
- Heat all ingredients over gentle simmering water until well combined.
- Note: You may need to cut off the edges to ensure you get straight and even slices.