Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 -4 cups oil (for deep frying)
- 10 dried red chili peppers (depending on your heat preference)
- 1⁄4 cup dried orange peel or 1⁄4 cup tangerine peel
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- Combine sauce ingredients. Set aside. Cut beef into thick slices and pound until 3/8 inch thick. Marinate in soy sauce and sugar 10 minutes. Add egg and flour, mix with hand.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Slide beef into oil piece by piece to prevent sticking together. Fry until crispy. Remove. Fry again. Drain. Remove.
- Reheat 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Stir fry chili peppers and orange peel until "black". Add sauce. Bring to boil. Thicken with dissolved cornstarch. Add beef. Stir-fry 1 minute more. Remove peppers prior to serving. Close your windows, eat and moan.
I make a recipe just like this one. It is one of my very favorite foods of all time. I love sweet hot foods and Madame's Orange Peel Beef is the reason I first found that out. You can't pass this up if you like sweet/hot. I highly recommend it. The Chinese restaurant I usually get this at also has quite a bit of stir fried green onion in it. Try little bites of the peppers until you decide how much heat you like.
I can't believe that no one has tried and rated this recipe before now. Sandi...this was lovely!!! Fantastic orange flavor, tender beef and just the right amount of sauce. I made some steamed chinese broccoli for a side dish to go along with the orange beef, they balanced each other out perfectly. To anyone who enjoys orange beef...you have to try this recipe! Thanks for a new favorite Sandi.
The sauce for this was fantastic!! I made it with chicken and it was really flavorful. I will make this over and over again because it's that good. I did not deep fry it or use flour since I'm allergic to it. It's not necessary and more healthy to just saute the chicken pieces. Make this, you will not be disappointed!