Guess what happened this afternoon-- I opened up y'days Thursday magazine(that I received today) and found tha the lucky winner of this week's contest is Madam Nupur Sen! She was my Statistics lecturer in college! Hooray, madam! CONGRATS on winning !!!!!! I'm sure this dish is as excellent as your teaching used to be in class, hey, no wonder I would always top! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 fish head (if its too large, halve or quarter it or use 1 medium- preferably use Rohu, Katla or any sweet-water)
- 50 g basmati rice
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 onion
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Firstly, wash the pieces of fish head thoroughly.
- 2Rub in a little turmeric powder and salt.
- 3Keep aside.
- 4Roast dry cumin and corriander seeds.
- 5Grind these with ginger and garlic.
- 6Keep aside.
- 7Roast half the quantity of dry cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and powder these.
- 8Keep this powder in a tightly sealed jar.
- 9Heat oil in a frying pan.
- 10Fry the fish head pieces till they turn dark brown.
- 11Remove from heat and set aside on a plate.
- 12Fry basmati rice lightly in the same oil.
- 13Keep aside.
- 14Fry potatoes and keep aside.
- 15Now coarsely crush the remaining half of the cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- 16Put the bayleaf and cumin seeds in the oil.
- 17Following this, once the cumin seeds crackle, put in the cardamom-cloves-cinnamon mixture made in the previous step.
- 18Add grated onion and fry till it turns brown.
- 19Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and the paste made earlier.
- 20Fry well till the oil separates.
- 21Put the fish head pieces, potatoes and the rice into the oil.
- 22Fry again for a few more minutes, ensuring that the fish head pieces do not break.
- 23Add 1 cup of water and cover the pan.
- 24When the water gets absorbed and the rice is cooked well, add in ghee, sugar and roasted masala powder made earlier that was kept in the tightly sealed jar.
- 25Serve hot with plain steamed white Basmati rice.
- 26Tip: The larger the fish, the better the dish!
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Madam Nupur Sen's Mudi Ghanto (Fish head with rice)
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 8.1 mg
- Sodium 17.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: