Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My daughter made this at Girl Scout camp, though not exactly gourmet, it sure is a fun and tasty treat for the kids to make. We use it ourselves now when we go camping.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 quart size ziploc bag
- 1 gallon size ziploc bag
- 1⁄4 cup rock salt or 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- duct tape
- Place milk, vanilla and sugar into smaller bag. Zip closed then seal again with duct tape. Squeeze bag gently to mix.
- Fill gallon bag halfway with ice and then add salt. Put smaller bag inside and seal bigger bag.
- Shake bag until the ice cream in the small interior bag feels firm.
- Remove small bag, wipe dry and carefully cut top off.
- Eat your ice cream right out of the bag!
love it!i home school and we did it for snack time.they complained that they had to shake so long but said was totally worth it!!ohhh and i did not crush the ice and it only took like 15 mins. i also triple bagged it to lock in the cold more.!!!!!!!!!
This turned out really good! We did this with our daughter a couple nights ago just for fun!! Thanks for the recipe!
5 stars because it tastes great! We made three kinds, the vanilla, chocolate (just added 1/4 tsp cocoa powder instead of the vanilla) and cinnamon (added with the vanilla). All three were yummy..although I think we all prefered the chocolate. Now, it took FOREVER to actually turn into icecream, for us way longer then 20 mins..more like 45 mins, and we had to add more ice and salt. I am wondering if we crushed our ice too much, as it melted pretty quickly. We ended up wrapping hand towels around the bags to help our hands (they were going numb from the cold) and that made it much easier. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it was a fun family activity!