Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Here's a bowl of chili that you'll loose your mind over, and well worth it! It's easy to make and great for company.
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 large white onions
- 8 lbs chuck roast, coarse ground
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup new mexico chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 (24 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup masa harina (corn flour)
- 2 (24 ounce) cans pinto beans or 2 (24 ounce) cans black beans
- Cook onions in bacon drippings over medium heat until they are translucent.
- Add beef and garlic, chile, cumin and oregano and cook about 1/2 hour until meat is evenly browned.
- Add tomatoes, water, and beer. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simer uncovered for 1 hour.
- Mix masa harina with a little water to make a thin paste and stir into chili to acheive the desirede consistency.
- Serve hot with cornbread or sourdough bread.