Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is a fast, spicy dish that goes well with rice and fish. Try adding tofu, too.
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup globe eggplant, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- In a medium hot skillet, saute the vegetables in 2 Tbs of the oil, starting with the hardest ones first, but holding the broccoli until later.
- Stir frequently and adjust the oil as needed.
- When the eggplant is just done, add the broccoli and continue cooking for two more minutes.
- Using a sifter, "snow" the cornstarch over the vegetables, stir, and snow again.
- Continue alternately sifting in the starch and stirring. The object is to coat the vegetables with the starch.
- Mix in the minced ginger.
- Stir the vegetable bouillon in the hot water and add the soy sauce.
- Slowly add this to the starch-coated veggies and bring to a gentle boil.
- Allow it to simmer until thickening, then add the hot chili pepper flakes.
- Let this simmer for five minutes, then serve.