Macritchie's Fried Brussels Sprouts
- Check brussels sprouts for old, tough outer leaves and remove. Slice them in half, especially if they are larger than golf balls.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium to medium high heat. Add the sprouts.
- Fry the sprouts, making sure both sides are browned. Sear them so they are quite dark, then reduce the heat and continue to cook about 5 minutes, shaking the pan periodically.
- Add the garlic and when the pan has cooled to medium low heat. Then add the basil, salt and pepper.
- Spill a little water in the pan, enough to make a steam, and cover with a lid for the last three minutes to be sure the sprouts are tender.
- Put in a serving dish and sprinkle with a little lemon juice if desired.