1/1 Photo of Macrina's Orzo Salad With Cucumber, Bell Pepper, Basil and Feta
Chef #208121's Note:
Perfect do ahead or picnic salad from Macrina Bakery & Café Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml walnut halves
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- kosher salt
- 354.88 ml dry orzo pasta
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- 118.29 ml diced scallion
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh basil
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 295.73 ml crumbled feta cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 78.07 ml lemon vinaigrette
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast on the center rack of the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 4Let cool, then coarsely chop and set aside.
- 5Peel and core the cucumber and cut it into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 6Core the red and yellow peppers and cut them into 1/2-inch-square pieces.
- 7Set aside.
- 8Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full of water.
- 9Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- 10Drop in the pasta and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- 11Remove the pan from the heat and drain the pasta in a colander, then cool the pasta by running cold tap water over the colander for a few minutes.
- 12Shake the colander to remove excess water and transfer the cooled pasta to a medium bowl.
- 13Toss with the olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking together.
- 14Add the toasted walnuts, cucumbers, peppers, olives, scallions, basil, parsley and feta.
- 15Drizzle in the Lemon Vinaigrette and toss well.
- 16Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 17Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- 18LEMON VINAIGRETTE yield: 1 1/4 cups.
- 19Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a medium bowl.
- 20Mix well with a whisk.
- 21Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking as you pour.
- 22Continue whisking until the dressing has emulsified, then cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macrina's Orzo Salad With Cucumber, Bell Pepper, Basil and Feta
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1038.5
- Calories from Fat 715
- Total Fat 79.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 41.7 mg
- Sodium 1160.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: