Recipe by Lori Mama
I purchased some Maclaren's Imperial Cheese at Costco, which was a super deal, not really knowing what to do with it. I searched the Kraft site for some recipes, but they didn't really have much I wanted to try that was for everyday use. I set out to try my hand at something myself and I hope you like it. My husband, who loves mac 'n cheese, really did.
Top Review by Outta Here
This takes comfort food to new heights! Loved the bacon and mushrooms in this, and the topping, which I wouldn't have thought of on mac and cheese. I subbed Kaukauna sharp cheese spread for the MacLaren's, which isn't available here. Thanks, Lori, for a great take on Mac n' Cheese!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- 6 slices lean bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (385 ml) can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon minced dried garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 0.5 (250 g) containermaclaren's cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 3 quart dutch oven, or equivalent with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, over medium high heat,.
- fry bacon until just crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms in the remaining bacon drippings until tender.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pot and melt.
- Stir in the garlic and onion.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Do not brown.
- Heat the milk in the microwave on high until hot.
- approximately 3 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and whisk smooth.
- Cook until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cheese, mustard powder, salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix until melted.
- Combine the cooked macaroni, bacon, mushrooms and sauce.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Toss together the butter and crumbs and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbling.