Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I purchased some Maclaren's Imperial Cheese at Costco, which was a super deal, not really knowing what to do with it. I searched the Kraft site for some recipes, but they didn't really have much I wanted to try that was for everyday use. I set out to try my hand at something myself and I hope you like it. My husband, who loves mac 'n cheese, really did.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- 6 slices lean bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (385 ml) can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon minced dried garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 0.5 (250 g) containermaclaren's cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 3 quart dutch oven, or equivalent with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, over medium high heat,.
- fry bacon until just crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms in the remaining bacon drippings until tender.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pot and melt.
- Stir in the garlic and onion.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Do not brown.
- Heat the milk in the microwave on high until hot.
- approximately 3 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and whisk smooth.
- Cook until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cheese, mustard powder, salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix until melted.
- Combine the cooked macaroni, bacon, mushrooms and sauce.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Toss together the butter and crumbs and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbling.
This takes comfort food to new heights! Loved the bacon and mushrooms in this, and the topping, which I wouldn't have thought of on mac and cheese. I subbed Kaukauna sharp cheese spread for the MacLaren's, which isn't available here. Thanks, Lori, for a great take on Mac n' Cheese!
Made this for our "Saturday Lunch at the Farm" on Saturday. I pulled out a bit for me to try, and also for Dennis as he was standing right over my shoulder. Yum! I thought the mushrooms in this dish were just perfect! A great taste to balance the bacon and the garlic and coupled perfectly with the cheese. I did not have Maclaren's cheese though :( so I used some freshly grated sharp cheese instead. I didn't use the full amount of butter, as I just simply forgot to, and it was absolutely perfect the way it was. The panko on top is a wonderful addition, and will make this again. This is a great dish, especially since we are going to be working hard all day! Thank you for posting this...:) Made for *PAC* Spring 2009.