Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my favorite places to visit every summer is Mackinac Island. Two of my favorite things to do while on the island is ride my bike around the perimeter of the island and then walk through town going in and out of all of the fudge shops looking for free samples. I'm so happy I found this recipe so I can make my own fudge between visits up north. I bought this recipe booklet called Mackinac Fudge Recipes for my cookbook swap partner. I hope she doesn't mind me posting a few of the recipes here on Zaar.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 5 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts (optional)
- 2 dashes salt
- Butter 8 inch square baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt together milk, water and chocolate.
- Stir in sugar and salt.
- Over moderate heat, bring to soft ball, about 234 degrees F. on a candy thermometer, stirring frequently. Keep bottom of pan free of lumps.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla and nuts.
- DO NOT stir.
- When mixture cools to 150 degrees F, stir until it loses its sheen.
- Turn rapidly into buttered dish.
- When firm, cut into 1-inch squares.
MMMMMM! This was really great and so delicious :) I used to get fudge from the little fudge shops on the Jersey shore and this was defianatly similar. I think I stirred mine one too many times as it came out a little crumbly, but it was still perfectly edible LOL. Thanks for posting this recipe and I can't wait to try your other fudge recipes. Made for PAC Fall 09.
I am always looking for candy recipes to make and share with my company. I made this the other day - there is NONE left. It went so fast! Thanks for the great recipe - this was just YUMMY. I will be making this again.
Am always tempted to cut way back on the candy recipes that I make, but then, with all the people in & out of here during any 1 week, things do manage to disappear! AND, this recipe looked just too good to pass up! I did use chunky PB AND also added the optional 1/2 cup of peanuts! This is AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT TASTING FUDGE & the recipe a definite keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup cooking game]