Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have yet to try this recipe but is posted by request and for safe-keeping.
Make and share this Mackerel With Orange & Harissa Glaze recipe from Food.com.
- 300 g filleted mackerel, skin on (10oz.)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 -2 teaspoon harissa (to taste, as brands vary)
- 50 g pine nuts, toasted (2 oz.)
- 1 bunch coriander, very roughly chopped
- Sift flour with smoked paprika and seasoning.
- Roll the mackerel fillets in the sifted flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and set the fish aside in a single layer.
- To make the glaze; put 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the orange zest and juice and the harissa paste into a small bowl, and whisk together.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan with until very hot. Fry the fish fillets for 5 minutes on the skin side, then on the flesh side.
- When the fish is nearly cooked (it should look firm), pour over the orange and harissa glaze; bring to the boil and allow the liquid to bubble until sticky.
- Sprinkle over the pine nuts and coriander.
Excellent recipe. Mackerel is such an underrated fish -- lots of good omega oils in it for you -- and very cheap in the UK at least. I pay about £1 for a whole fish. The citrus and spicy flavours go very well together here and it is quick to make. I served with mashed potatoes and some pan-fried greens. Next time I might make double the glaze so I have a bit to spoon around the plate and over the potatoes.