Mackerel With Fennel - Wales
- 4 mackerel
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh fennel
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces butter
- Clean the fish thoroughly and score across in two places. Sprinkle with chopped fennel, leaving 1 teaspoon fennel for the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush with melted butter. Brush also some aluminum foil or grill pan with a little butter, so the fish doesn't stick while cooking.
- Place the fish under the grill, and cook for 5 - 6 minutes on each side, very near the grill to start with and further away when the skin is sealed and crisp.
- Serve with fennel sauce, which you make by adding 1 teaspoon chopped fennel to 1/2 pint white roux sauce.