Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Jamaican recipe that is delicious! My family used to serve many different "styles" of cooking and I learned to appreciate all. Soak mackerel overnight in water.
- 2 lbs boneless pickled mackerel
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped fine
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, whole (cook whole and then dice 1/4 of pepper)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- To remove some of the salt from the mackerel, soak in water overnight or boil in hot water for 30 minutes. (A combination of this can be done if the mackerel is still salty.)
- Drain water from the mackerel and cut into small pieces.
- Combine milk and water in a frying pan and boil until it looks oily.
- Add the mackerel and cover the pot.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
- Add and stir the onion, garlic, scallion, tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme and vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with green bananas, yam, roast breafruit and dumplings, if available.