Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tis is a great soup.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, uncooked finely diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄4 bunch celery, diced
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 quart water
- 4 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh parsley, freshly chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup colby cheese, Shredded
- 1⁄4 cup bacon, bits fried
- 2 green onions, chopped for garnish
- In large pot, boil potatoes in water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In large heavy pot, sauté bacon, onion and celery over medium-high heat until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove mixture from pot, drain bacon grease and return mixture to pot. Add milk, water, base, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let mixture boil.
- In small, heavy saucepan melt margarine. Add flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux. While constantly stirring soup, add roux slowly until soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, reserved potatoes, and cream. Garnish with cheese, bacon bits, onions or all three.
- Serve hot.
Everyone loves this soup and asks me for the recipe. It's so good. I don't add the extra salt because otherwise its a bit salty for my taste. I'd recommend leaving it out and adding to taste at the end.
This is delicious, rich flavored. I didn't have parsley but used dried cilantro and I used Sysco chicken base but this is an excellent recipe! I will definetly make again!
Wonderful recipe. I used silk milk ( which may not scorch as easy) and dimmed my serving size down . You might want to Brown the bacon first before adding it to the vegetables. My recipe without salt ~ 4-6servings -1 1/2 lbs quartered baby red potatoes .- 2 cups of water -1 whole medium onion (diced) 2tbsp chicken base (I used Orrington Farms with no msg) 1tsp black pepper -1 tsp garlic Powder 1tsp onion powder( helps take place of the salt) 6tbsp wheat flour - 1 tsp parsley -2 celery stalks 1/4 cup of bacon finely diced into strips .